Who can protect an egg’s voyage? Make it a competition with the whole family. Using found objects and recycling, see who can make the safest parachute or capsule for an egg in just 15 minutes. Each will be tested against the quick fall of gravity. Which eggs survive and why?
What You’ll Need:
- Cups, cardboard, plastic bags or other found items
- A timer, set to 15 minutes
- A high drop point, such as over a banister or stairwell
- (If doing the experiment indoors) Towel, tarp, or other such layout
- Set the timer for 15 minutes.
- On a start, have each person construct their parachute of found things to keep the egg safe from its fall.
- When the timer is up, everyone should gather at the stairwell, balcony, or other drop off point. If doing the experiment indoors, lay out a protective cover over the floor to prevent messes from a chaotic egg drop.
- One a time, drop the egg parachutes and examine the wreckage. Who won, and what about their parachute saved the egg?
Want to learn more?